Wednesday, September 29, 2010

South Island

New Zealands South Island was the last stop on my trip and it was a great way to end my travels. I had not been to NZ before and cant wait to go back. We managed to experience a quite a few aftershocks from the earthquake, rain, wind, snow, rain, some sun (I think) and a bit more rain.
Lots of deer farming in New Zealand. Although I dont think that the industry is as big as it used tobe
This is the first time I have been in the snow and not been on a mountain. Farmers in Southland have been battling the elements lately, right at the start of lambing and early in the milking
season. Unfortunately lots of dead lambs and pugged up paddocks as everyone battles the cold wet conditions.
This is some new chicory varieties at Agricom in Lincoln. I had not seen the coloured
ones before and I am not convinced we will see paddocks of them in the future either.
I was surprised at the amount of merino wool products available in the shops. I thought NZ was all prime lambs. Not until we had driven inland do you realise the country is well suited to merinos. We stocked up on Icebreaker gear as well.
Bendigo Station. Home of Shrek the sheep. Not a bad photo - sweet as

No comments:

Post a Comment