Monday, August 30, 2010

Minnesota State Fair

On Saturday I had the privlidge of attending the Minnesota State Fair. The State Fair is the equivalent to our Melbourne Show or Royal Sydney Easter Show. Not a lot of agriculture there but I was encouraged to see how many people were in jammed into the various animal pavilions. They had pigs, sheep, cattle, horses and chickens. Live births of lambs and piglets were extremely popular amongst the crowds.
Not sure how they calculate these sort of numbers but it is probably somewhere in the ballpark. At least they are creating some sort of awareness to the general public. Throughout my travels all over the world I have seen the need to bridge the gap from people in the city to us farmers the worlds population food and beverage providers.
This one I am not so sure about? The beef figure I think could be higher. Might as well take lamb off the list, it is just not part of the diet here. Poultry and Pork -probably ok. Same with fish. The fruit and vegetables not so sure. Of the veges, if you could further break this down - spuds, corn
and beans would be a huge %. Lettuce would also be a huge amount. Salad over here consists primarily of lettuce with a small cherry tomato if you are lucky and cabbage - nice.
It was worth going just for the food. If you can deep fry it, cover it with cheese or put it on a stick then you will find it here. People LINING UP at the beer tent at 9am also made me chuckle.
Funnily this stand was pretty popular amongst the various food samplers. Some of them looked like they had a fair amount of food sampling experience too. I gave it a wide berth though.
This dude must share my thoughts on the whole thing.
I did try one of these though - not bad either!

No comments:

Post a Comment