Saturday, August 14, 2010

Portage La Prairie

I spent the day with Don and Kim Scissons on Thursday. Don together with his brother and son run one of the tidiest farms I have ever seen. One thing people say about Nuffield is that you get to visit and learn from all the top farmers around the world, no matter what their enterprise is. This was no exception. They farm around 1600ha of wheat, canola and beans. They are also partners in two large sow units, 5 finishing sheds and a feed mill. Don said the two things he wanted to do after returning from his Nuffield travels was to integrate livestock into the business and buy more land. Fingers crossed, looks like I could be on the right track!!!
The Scissons are in the fortunate position of changing over ALL their machinery EVERY year. When I first drove in I thought I was in a John Deere dealership. They are just starting harvest and juggling rain/storms nearly every day. We have all heard about how wet it has been over here and flying over the prairies there is a lot of evidence of water logging in crops and they say that there is a huge area in Saskatchewan that didn't get sown at all. Good for our grain prices at home though. Still getting my head around converting bushels/acre to tonnes/ha.
They were harvesting canola the day I visited. Canola yields are generally pretty close to wheat.
Plenty of on farm storage. Don grows a lot of crops for seed, so needs lots of smaller silos for different varieties.
Two more were delivered the day I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment